Wednesday, August 31, 2022

30th

 It's quite early and only a few people here. I'd not realised it had been windy, but the ground was covered in apples. Not just from the old tree but also the long eater and even a couple from the little red apple tree. Too many for me to carry, so I sorted them and left three bags in the shed for later collection. The plums are dropping as I walk over, so ripe the wasps and butterflies are feeding. 

Red Admiral.

So I picked some while they are still on the tree.
Just to the right of the long apple is a wild carrot. I was sat next to it, having coffee and there was a wonderful floral fragrance, not carrot-y at all.

Life on the plot - wasps, bees, mint moths, speckled wood butterflies, many red admirals, a green shield bug on the blackcurrant leaves.

There was a single house martin flying over, the last at the party?
A surprise was a single ribbon of green beans. Perhaps a left-over from last year.
I had put away the tools after cutting back some of the brambles, a last sit before folding up the seat when I spotted a hairy caterpillar on the back of a blackberry leaf (and the camera was still in my pocket!).

So, there is a choice of - fuzzy but some colour, or clear but lighter because of the sunlight.
Not identified as yet.

Blackberries are starting to ripen, raspberries are still performing well, one or two brave strawberries (half eaten by - something!). 
Only one asparagus beetle and no squidgy black young. And there were two different crickets. No camera by then, of course. But the first one leapt about a metre into the grassy knoll when disturbed and the other was quite brown and only jumped about eight inches (cms?). I did heard its rasping call. 
Last job was to pick some mint. Having put last weeks apples through a jelly bag, I plan to make apple and mint jelly.
Tis the season of mellow fruitfulness.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Yep, it's slipped away....

 Too many plans, ideas, ambitions but too little time.  The decision has been made.  Relief. But then the mild panic because what to take? W...